Precision Gage & Tool Co. provides AAR railroad gauges, including Rule 1 gauges from the AAR field manual, for in stock availability check our online shop here or by calling (937) 866-9666 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AAR and Rule 1 Railroad Gauges
- Long Form Certification is provided at no additional cost for all new railroad gauges sold by PG&T that require certification.
- AAR Rule 1 gauges and rail gauges meet AAR specifications
- Coupler gauges including 44057, 44250-3, 47120-2 and 36527-3
- Gauge certification capabilities include tape measures, torque wrenches, torque testers, pressure gauges, electronic gauges, standard measuring tools and all railroad gauges to meet AAR specifications
Railroad Gauge Certification
Railroad Gauge certification is the foundation of a gauge surveillance program. Railroad Gauge surveillance is simply an orderly system of keeping records on gauges and gauge wear. PG&T supplies long form certification for new railroad gauges and masters. Each railroad gauge receives a dedicated I.D. number. An assigned PG&T number will be used if a number or other type of mark is not designated or requested at the time of purchase.
Railroad Gauge Re-Certification
Sometimes a customer’s railroad gauge is found to be out of tolerance. A customer is give the option to purchase a new gauge or have their gauge repaired or corrected where applicable.
If the customer chooses not to repair their railroad gauge or their gauge is deemed too costly to repair, the gauge is returned to the customer with an inspection report . Railroad gauges returned in these instances are not re-certified.
Long Form Certification
- Long form certification certifies the actual measurement of all specific critical dimensions and critical characteristics for a particular railroad gauge.
- One railroad gauge per long form certification. (See certification marking).
- This certification also provides certification of NIST* trace-ability
The certification document prepared for these items includes the following:
- Name and address of organization providing the certification
- Customer name (company and or person) and company address
- Control number, unique to the gauge
- Description of railroad gauge
- Description of measurement and test equipment used to perform calibration Certification date
- Certification date
- Calibration interval (If desired by customer)
- Identification of calibration procedure/method used
- Assigned certification value(s) and critical characteristics when applicable
- Certification uncertainty or reference to specification, drawing, or other document specifying tolerance limits
- Applicable corrections
- Special use limitations or certifications status, when applicable
- Identification of person performing calibration/certification
- Identification of person authorized to review and approve validity of certification
Custom Railroad Gauges and Other Gauges
We build to your print custom railroad gauge for you. We will work with your engineers to finalize and then manufacture custom rail gauge designs. Precision Gage & Tool also provides:
- Non-standard Railroad Gauges
- Custom Railroad Gauges
- Master Discs
- Master Rings
- Micrometer Standards
Important Facts About Railroad Gauge Hardness
A railroad gauge that is softer than the part it gauges may fail. After multiple applications a “too soft” steel gauge may become nicked, distorted and worn out. For maximum wear life, PG&T railroad gauges are made from the highest quality materials. You’ll always have a greater payback with PG&T.